My Style & Approach to Counseling
My style is: casual, empathetic, warm, humorous and yet looking directly at problems and solutions.
My approach is to balance problem solving with soul-searching. I provide support, insight and practical feedback to help you respond to life’s challenges quickly but gently. I help individuals and couples build on their natural strengths to attain the peace of mind, self confidence, improved relationships and overall well-being they want in their lives.
I can help you:
- find clarity amid confusing circumstances and feelings;
- mend strained relationships;
- identify your goals and achieve them;
- feel calm, strong and effective in your relationship with yourself and the people in your life;
- learn how to cope with life so you can have lasting peace on the inside, regardless of what’s going on outside.
Based on the wise saying “ … grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” Human Nature Counseling offers two approaches to helping you resolve your challenges:
1. For the problems that can be changed (stress, communication problems, maintaining sobriety, recovering from a break-up, etc.) I offer short-term solution-oriented sessions that focus on resolving a specific problem.
2. For problems that can’t be changed (death of a loved one, a past trauma, coping with aging parents, economic turmoil, etc.) I offer mindfulness training that builds skills to create an inner state of peace, regardless of what’s going on outside.
Both approaches develop within you the skills to gain clarity and peace of mind so that you can be at your best in work, relationships and simply feel better. And both approaches give you skills that you can use long after the counseling is finished. Both are a short-term investment in your long-term well-being.
areas of expertise:
- Change: creating it and coping with it
- Relationships (spouse, family, friends, coworkers)
- Anxiety and fear
- Grief and loss
- Overcoming childhood traumas
- Conflict resolution
training & teaching
- Over 8 years experience as a therapist.
- Graduate of Pacifica Graduate Institute with a Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology, specializing in Depth Psychology.
- Trained in equine assisted therapy through EAGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association).
- Extended training in trauma and grief.
- Extended training in mindfulness practice.
- Instructor at Pacifica Graduate Institute:
I teach: Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Clinical Process, Clinical Practice in a Master’s degree program in Counseling Psychology.
- California Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist #49429
- California Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor #549
- Oregon Licensed Professional Counselor # C2774